Building with Charles Thomas Homes
We realize that this is a very exciting time in your life and we are proud that you have selected us to join you along the way! The building process for your new home normally takes 6-7 months from the time you sign a purchase agreement to the time of closing. Generally, this process includes 3-4 weeks for drafting plans, performing jobsite survey & staking, and obtaining the building permit prior to breaking ground. Once the foundation is started, the process takes approximately 5-6 months, providing Mother Nature cooperates! You will receive a final move-in date at the completion of drywall.
Track Your New Home Progress On-Line
Customers Talk About Their Experience with CTH
How To Get Started
Contact Builder/Agent Tim Lowndes to schedule a time to review your needs. At this meeting, we can discuss such items as…
- How we can help you get your current home sold
- Developing your specific custom home plans
- Deposit Schedule
- Lot selection and acquisition
- Obtaining financing
- The construction process
Our Step by Step Process
The following list is the typical building process of your new Charles Thomas Home. This is an exciting time for you and for us at Charles Thomas Homes. Our goal is COMPLETE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. To achieve that, we strive to complete each task below with the utmost professionalism and the HIGHEST STANDARDS in the industry. This process normally follows the order as listed below, however some processes can happen at the same time or in a slightly different order.
- Plans drafted to YOUR specifications in accordance with the signed purchase agreement. Plans are usually completed within 1-2 weeks depending on amount of changes required.
- We meet with you to review plans and specifications of your new Charles Thomas Home. You will have time to take the plans and specifications home and look them over, we will meet again and make any necessary changes. Then you sign off on your plans and specifications.
- At this point, you will receive your selection sheets. This gives you detailed instructions and timelines for all the selections you have to make. Selection sheets are completed and returned to our office by the required deadline.
- Pre-construction process – Charles Thomas Homes arranges the construction financing, lot is purchased, plans are reviewed by 3rd party inspectors, permits are applied for, and copies of your home plans are reviewed with each subcontractor – this process can take from 1-3 weeks.
- Construction phase – Once we break ground and the foundation is poured, the framing begins. This can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks and includes installing the windows and roof system to totally enclose the home and protect it from the elements.
- Rough-ins phase – Plumbing, Heating & Air, and Electrical rough ins are installed and inspected. This usually takes 2-3 weeks. You will do a walk through with the Electrical contractors to review the locations of outlets and switches. You will also do a walk through with the low voltage wiring contractor to discuss security, phone, cable, or any other wiring you may want.
- Home sealing and insulation preperation. This is where we come in with our state of the art EcoSeal product and completely seal up the home. All penetrations are foamed, caulked or sealed to achieve a tight home.
- Inspections – sometimes can take up to 2 weeks. There are 4 city inspections that we must pass with the City Inspectors; Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, and then Framing. These are all separate inspectors and the first three must pass before we can call for the overall framing inspection.
- Insulation and Energy Star Inspection – after the City Inspections are complete, you will see a lot of activity in the home, beginning with your insulation. At this time, we perform our first on-site Energy Star inspection with an Independent EPA Energy Star rating. He checks all aspects of insulation and home tightness for Energy Star approval. He will complete many checklists for Energy Star, Indoor AirPLUS, and NAHB Green.
- Drywall Phase – usually takes 2 weeks to complete. Also, at the start of drywall, we can give you a definite move in date.
- Trim Phase – Wood floor are installed, then cabinets, and trim work. The home is thoroughly cleaned to prepare for Painting and Staining. After the painting is complete, all the hard surfaces are installed such as countertops, tile, and vinyl flooring.
- Final Stages – Wood floors receive 3 coats of lacquer, Plumbing, Heating & Air, and Electrical fixtures are installed. Mirrors and shower doors are installed.
- Carpet installation – All floors are prepared for carpet with a thorough cleaning.
- Remaining exterior work – concrete & exterior painting (if not done earlier), deck (if applicable), grade, sprinklers and landscaping (if applicable) and sod.
- Punch Out – install hardware, bath accessories, window screens & cranks, storm door, base shoe, and drywall/paint touchup. Our punch out process is very detailed and thorough. This is another area that we take a lot of pride in. We have detailed checklists that our punch out team must complete. This entails all the little things that make our homes so perfect to live in and sets us apart from all the competition!
- Final Performance Testing – This entails many inspections and checklists that must be completed by the Energy Star and Green rater. They are onsite and test the air leakage of the home, the tightness of the duct system, and the overall performance of the home. An overall Home Energy Rating System (HERS) number is determined for your home. Your home will exceed the Five Star Plus rating!
- Final Cleaning – the last step before we close!
- Pre-Closing walk through (within 1 week of closing). Final touch-ups.
- Closing – Congratulations! You will receive keys, garage door openers, warranty packets, and home care information.
- 30 Day walk-through – after you have been in the home for 30 days, if you have any issues, call us and we will perform a walk-through of any warranty related items that arise shortly after closing.
- 11 Month walk-through – Call us again at the 11 month time frame if you have any other warranty related issues. We will come out and walk-through your home with you and schedule any warranty work that needs to be completed. This time frame is critical as all work must be scheduled with our responsible subcontractors PRIOR to the 1 year warranty expiring.